Ready Room    

Go Back   Ready Room > Main Category > VA - Medical News

Old 04-29-2008

Default IRIS and Camp Lejeune-URGENT

Good evening everyone!

It just came to my attention through Jerry Ensminger that the EPA announced revisions that will delay and weaken the process it uses to update the Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS), which provides human health risk information on more than 540 environmental contaminants. The IRIS numerical values directly affect the safety of the water we drink, the air we breathe, and the soil that underlies our homes, schools, businesses, and parks. (This is wording directly from the NRDC and Grassroots letters.)

In laymens terms, they are trying to up the level of contaminants levels. For example, if TCE is currently at 5ppb (parts per billion), it would propose to raise that level to say 10ppb (just an example) which would mean less strict regulations on these chemicals.

This is an EXTREMELY time sensitive issue. If you would like to participate, and I urge everyone to do so and again I apologize for the lack of notice, please sign the bottom of the letters and send to Lenny Siegel. His email address is lennysiegel@gmail.com or if you must, fax to Lenny at 650-961-8918.

Lenny must receive these TONIGHT. There is a hearing tomorrow that he would like to send to the Senate Environment Committee before said hearing convenes.

At the bottom of your letter, near your signature, I would put why you're
interested (ie. Victim of Camp Lejeune water contamination or simply put the name of our group, The Few, The Proud, The Forgotten.)

These letters can be obtained on our home page or as you can see, as attachments in this email. On the website, they will be listed individually as "Grassroots Letter" and "NRDC Letter."

Thanks for your time and cooperation.

Andrea Byron
The Few, The Proud, The Forgotten

GrassrootsLetter[1] IRIS.pdf

EPA Ltr re IRIS.pdf

The Government Accountability Office (GAO) today released the
following reports, testimony, and correspondence:
LETTER REPORT
Chemical Assessments: Low Productivity and New Interagency
Review Process Limit the Usefulness and Credibility of EPA's
Integrated Risk Information System. GAO-08-440, March 7
http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-08-440
Highlights - http://www.gao.gov/highlights/d08440high.pdf

TESTIMONY
Toxic Chemicals: EPA's New Assessment Process Will Increase
Challenges EPA Faces in Evaluating and Regulating Chemicals.
GAO-08-743T, April 29
http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-08-743T
http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-08-743T
Highlights - http://www.gao.gov/highlights/d08743thigh.pdf

Last edited by widow1; 04-29-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-12-2008

Default Re: IRIS and Camp Lejeune-URGENT

Update to TFTPTF

Good Evening Everyone!

I wanted to let everyone know about some updates on the website. As you may, or may not, have read, Jerry Ensminger was invited to speak before a Congressional Committee today. Information on the IRIS Hearing is available on our website at www.tftptf.com.

Also, after much prompting from many of you, an Illness Registry has been started on the website. I have to admit, I was a bit reluctant to do this as it is going to be time consuming on my part, as well as for a few other reasons. Nonetheless, I think it will be a nice tool for everyone on the site to use. You can list what illnesses you have and network with people (A) in your area and/or (B) that have the same or similar illnesses/diseases.

Mike Partain and I are going to be working on a (hopefully monthly) newsletter to send out to everyone who is registered on our Discussion Board. This news letter will contain various things regarding the Lejeune contamination- attorneys, how to contact your media outlets, obtaining medical records etc. I encourage everyone who is not already registered on the Discussion Board to please do so, so that you can receive the newsletter, as well as any important and pertinent information as it becomes available, in a timely fashion.

Please note that the Registration for the Discussion Board and the Illness Registry are two separate entities.

We are still continuing the Lejeune map project as well as the Stories of Those Exposed at Lejeune project. I invite you to partake in either or both as you deem necessary.

As always, if anyone has any ideas, comments, suggestions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me, or post them on the Discussion Board.

Take care,

Andrea Byron